Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Getting a Second Opinion

"In 1999, Johns Hopkins Hospital conducted a study of 6,171 slides of patients referred for treatment. Of those slides, 86 were wrongly diagnosed. That is a 1.4% error rate. 20 of the 86 patients they found to be wrongly diagnosed, received unnecessary cancer treatment. That is just how much of a difference getting a second opinion can make."

So, I have an appointment with Dr. Margenthaler at the Siteman Cancer Center on Tuesday at 2:00pm. I am very excited about this - first of all, she has done many, many treatments on not only young cancer patients, but high risk cancer patients. She is a very good surgeon. What I like about Siteman is that it is a cancer center - these people specialize in cancer, and my surgeon specilaizes in breast surgery.....everything is in the same building - the medical oncologist, the radiation oncologist, the surgeon, both general and reconstructive.....while it may be a bit of a longer drive than Hannibal, I am already feeling a peace about this place......and I am so thankful...

Already in this walk, God has remained very faithful - as He promised - reminding me that he is walking with me and loving me, no matter what I am going through - and His love shines through you - my family and friends. I will probably say this a lot - but I am simply overwhelmed by His Grace.

Beth told me that the minute I was diagnosed, I became a survivor. Now THAT is cool!!! So, I am taking ownership of that statement......

And, while I do not recommend going out and getting breast cancer, I can tell you that there are some obvious positivie side effects....like, getting in the Word. I sit here thinking...God, I do not deserve You or the love You shower upon me, but You continue to be faithful to me.......and I will praise you, forever, I will praise You.

.....................and, with each of my children, David bought me a "gift" at their birth and presented it to me when they were born - I asked him if I was going to get a "cancer-free" gift (hey - I am a woman, after all and have not lost total control of my senses!!) Of course he agreed......like I said, some obvious side effects.....and I just want to say THANK YOU David, for humoring me and giving me some very goood laughs!!!!

More good news....Nelsie went to a meeting today and the speaker was a doctor of oncology and she talked about BREAST CANCER. Now - can you believe this? I DO!!! I am telling you - that is how GOD works. She said that one of the things she learned is that studies show that women who exercise have a much less likely chance of recurrence after the first episode!!! YIPPEE!!! So, in the morning when I am swearing at the elliptical....well, I don't really swear....but now I will think of this and maybe swear with a smile on my face!!!

I just want to say THANK YOU again - for your prayers, information, hugs, etc......they help get me through the day - that and 4 children demanding my attention......

I love you.......always.,....

No comments: