Thursday, October 23, 2008

Here's Hoping for a "Speedy" Recovery!

I have been trying to figure out how I could tell you about my day Tuesday. I just don't know if it is possible....but I am going to try. Tuesday morning I had pre-op testing...and WOW - thank you for your prayers. My appt was at 8am - I got there at 7:45 and there were only 2 or 3 other people in the waiting room - I thought that was a GREAT sign!



So, they whisked me away to the reception desk, signed me in, and then took me to the "back room" where I was weighed, measured, interrogated, had blood drawn, interrogated again, and released.....all before 8:45am. The good news is - I had two of the drill sergeants tell me they had a very busy day ahead and I was sure smart to come in at 8am (I didn't tell them of my hidden agenda.....retail therapy)....the only negative was I was unable to visit Jim Beard. He was on the 6th floor and the receptionist explained that I would not be able to visit until 11am.....I will see him Wednesday unless he has been released to go home (which, of course, we all hope he has gone home!!!)

So, Jill and I left to go to West County. We were there until 6:30 or 7:00 - after 9 hours of shopping I would have expected to have so much stuff in my car I couldn't see....but we didn't. It turns out that the best therapy of the day was simply being with a friend and talking!!! Oh, don't get me wrong, we had therapy - the best kind!!

So after trying on 63 pairs of shoes (this is seriously not an exaggeration), we decided to head home. Without even thinking I started west on I-70 towards 79....which really ticked me off. I wanted to go home through Jerseyville so I could stop at the DQ. We decided to take the Mid Rivers Mall exit and see if there was a DQ on the road....no DQ, but there was a DSW Shoe Warehouse - so we stopped, didn't find any shoes.....but did find out that at the mall there was a DQ (God takes care of cancer, and he takes care of a woman's frantic need for DQ....now how is that for a faithful God!!!!)

Finally, we could head home......and we did. And we were talkiing non-stop!! Jill literally planned a spring party in about 5 minutes - I have never met anyone more creative when it comes to planning a party, or planning what to wear....she takes the cake!!! We were outside of Elsberry when I noticed the car in the oncoming lane stopped and turned around....I glanced at the plates and saw it was a polic car......the rest of the conversation went something like this:



Becky: You have got to be freakin' kidding me. I am going 67 in a 60 and that fruitcake is going to pull me over. What the heck! This is ridiculous.

Jill: Don't worry, Becky, maybe he will just give you a warning.

Becky: Jill, this is Missouri - you NEVER get pulled over in Missouri and NOT get a ticket. I have been pulled over 4 times in this area and ALWAYS got a ticket

Jill: Well, do you think Frank could help you?

Becky: Are you kidding me? I will just pay for the freakin ticket. Telling Frank would be like going through a freakin act of Congress and I would have to listen to him for the rest of my life (I say this with a loving heart. Frank just cares and has asked me repeatedly to slow down. It is my mission in life to go slow for three consecutive years without having to tell him I got a ticket.......and I am two years into that process!!!!!)...I will just pay the freakin ticket. I can NOT BELIEVE THIS. Let me tell you something - i am going to let him have it. I am going to tell him just what is going on and he better let me off. (blah blah blah blah, Becky)

Officer: (of course, by the time he gets to my window I am putty and can not say a word) Mamm, I clocked you going a little fast. Can I have your drivers license, please? Where you headed from in such a hurry?

Becky: The SITEMAN CANCER CENTER. (YES!!! I got it out.....that wasn't so bad....it was the truth.....maybe about 9 hours off, but still the truth)

Officer: (Silence...I was hoping at this moment he wouldn't look in the back seat and see all of the packages from Nordstrom's. He walked back to his car with my license without saying a word.)



Jill: He didn't tell you how fast you were going. Aren't they supposed to tell you how fast you were going?

Becky: I don't know. CRAP.

Jill: (after a long silence......maybe even an uncomfortable silence) Well, You got a really awesome dress for the wedding today!

Becky: (LAUGHTER!!!!! I definately needed her humor right now. Remember Hillary from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? That is Jill....only Jill is a lot smarter than Hillary!! Jill is ALWAYS funny!!)



(we could see the officer approaching the car, so we become, once again, stoic)



Officer: Mamm, I clocked you going 68 in a 60 (WHATEVER.......I KNEW it was close to 67. Seriously, a ticket for 68 in a 60. I wanted to crush his little head between my fingers at that very moment) I would apprecaite it if you could slow down a bit when you are driving through here. I am just giving you a warning this time. Have a great day.



Becky: (feeling absolutely sick as I envisioned his crushed skull within my grasp) Umh...can I go now?

Jill: Heck yeah, pull out - get out of here before he changes his mind, girlfriend!

So, we drove in absolute hysteria for 30 miles. I couldn't get over it - I have NEVER been with ANYONE on Route 79 who got pulled over and didn't get a ticket. I immediately called David to "brag" about not getting a ticket in Elsberry. I told him that, once again, this cancer thing was really paying off. Of course, leave it to the reasonable one to bring me back to earth. He said, calmly, "The cancer thing is the reason you are on the road in the first place." Well, okay, downer....thanks for the reminder.......poor guy - I really do give him a hard time.....thank God he loves me.

5 comments:

Robin C. said...

Becky,

With Morgan at Lindenwood Bruce and I know where all the DQ's are. There is one in O'Fallon that will take you right to 79. We hit it on our way home every time. You have my number if your interested in directions!!!!! DQ does the body good....or maybe that's milk? Close enough!

ken said...

I've been telling my students to log onto your blog for spiritual inspiration. Now with this terrible example of disregard for the law, I'll have to direct them to James Dobson or Adopt-A-Pet.
kb

Hallie said...

You and that lead foot Becky...heehee....whatever works to get out of the ticket though :) Glad you ended up having a good day though!! I love you!

Keith said...

It is not the destination, it is the journey. You have always taken your journeys at 68 miles per hour.

Unknown said...

Becky,

I am so glad that you didn't get a ticket in Elsberry since they like to sit and try to get speeders. I am a friend of Kim's who teaches in Elsberry, MO. I was lucky one time on my way to school when I was going 70 in a 55 on B 5 miles west of Elsberry. The very nice MO trooper did NOT give me a ticket! I promised from that day on I would not speed on my way to work! :)

I wish you a "speedy" recovery and isn't the shopping great down here?

Melissa