Thursday, October 16, 2008

From the mouths of babes

I told you this would happen. Aren't moms always right?!! I guess on the way to town yesterday Sophie and Gracie were whispering and laughing in the back seat.......and it was about - you guessed it!!!! Poor David - he always said that his girls would be his hardest job ever....and he is certainly living it now!

I am reminded of the night I had to tell Austin I was having a biopsy. It was Saturday....and I called him into the bedroom....I spoke about my mom and how there was a history of cancer in our family and so there has always been a concern with me and Robin with regards to breast cancer....and then I shared about the mammagram and the sonogram and the spot compression...I shared it all, albeit in a VERY low tone. I wanted this to be....well.....a non-event. I say that a lot - it is what I mean!! So, after all was said I asked the question........

Me: Austin, do you have any questions?
Austin: (after a loooonnnggg, pregnant pause) Yeah - what are we doing tonight?

At that moment I knew it - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!! He feels as if this is nothing....which is exactly the way I want him to feel!!!



Okay - back to last night. Back to ...Bella.....I wish,that for those of you who do not know her, I wish I could paint a clear picture - that you could see and feel what I do every day with her. I call her dramatic - she is - but it is what makes her...well, our Bella. At the same time, she is a loving little girl - who feels very deeply (yeah - Sophie feels deeply, too, but while Bella wants to give you a hug and say hello.....Sophie would rather kick your butt!!!!)



So last night at bedtime Bella says to me, "Mom, a teacher asked me how you were doing. I told her that you were sick." I asked her who it was and she replied, "I don't know her name." Okay - I was wondering....so I asked, "Bella, how do you know that I know her." And, her response was again classic Bella. She boasted, quite firmly, "MOM.....if she knows me, then she knows you." I wanted to say, "WHATEVER, Bella".....but knew at that moment....oops, maybe this is where Bella gets a little bit of her drama......



....and the story continues. I guess it is never over where Bella is concerned. As she was rolling over I heard the following:



Bella: I said, "My mom is fine, but she is having breast cancer." (Whoa, sort of like....she is having a tooth extraction!)

Gracie: (In her matter-of-fact tone) Oh, mom, we are praying that you don't die. (THANK YOU, GRACIE!!!!)



I share this with you to let you know....it is simply another case of humor. My kids are speaking of this so matter of factly that I have living PROOF God has softened their hearts and this is an almost non-event in their lives!!!! I have shared with you that I haven't shed any tears or had any meltdowns....Maybe I should have clarified that I have not shed any tears of sorrow.....I HAVE shed tears....and they have mostly been a result of what has poured forth from the mouths of my babes........



Have a great day - God Bless You!!!!!!!



Love, Becky

2 comments:

Nelsie said...

It appears that not only does little Gracie look a lot like my mom she has her very blunt ways. I am cracking up at the girls and your last two posts have me laughing so hard. I love you--

Hallie said...

I am giggling through my tears....I can picture those beautiful babes like I was there with you Becky :) How DID so much of Robin and Nels rub off on those girls??? :) I love you all...sooo very much!!!My prayers and thoughts are with you....ALWAYS!!!