Friday, October 17, 2008

A Massage...to cry for

One of my most favorite, longed-for and anticipated indulgences (after monster cookies, shopping, red vines licorice, dove chocolates, cardinal spring training, Aunt Patti's potato soup, and Barb DeGroot's butter cake) is getting a MASSAGE. Every year for Christmas David always purchases for me a gift certificate for a massage (the other 51 I buy for myself...hehehehehe). But seriously, it is an indulgence that I love.


After being diagnosed on September 26th, I decided that I would treat myself to a massage every week until surgery.....(once again, another fine example of how this cancer thing is really paying off) .....my appointments have been each Friday, and today was no different.


I was lying in the massage room (after a 10 minute phone "talk" with Frank on politics which made me a few minutes late ) and decided to tell my therapist that I would like to skip next Friday and have a 90 minute massage the day before my surgery. I told her that I had been diagnosed with breast cancer......HALT.....yes - the massage came to a screeching halt. My therapist indicated that in all of her training she had always been told they were never to do massages on cancer patients. Something about making the fluids move, etc. I am not sure what all she said - I was in shock and could hardly speak. Speechless, I was speechless...well - for about 30 seconds I was speechless.


But how could I be mad at her? She was just doing what she knew was right.....She mentioned that she had the rest of the morning open - and I mentioned that I would be getting on the phone immediately to talk to my doctor. For the next two minutes I was frantic - and for the first time, I was REALLY ticked off at this cancer. Finally, satan had found a way to break me....or so he thought.....how DARE he try to take away my massage....


It took me 15 minutes....but I was able to talk to David ( to get the number to Siteman's) the secretary to my dr., the breast health center, the nurse......and Dr. Margenthaler. And, the Dr. said, "enjoy!!!" Literally, I had tears in my eyes......they may have been fabricated, but they spoke volumes about how I felt about missing my cherished massage.....So my therapist came back to the room, the massage went on as planned, and I was a very happy camper. You are probably wondering if there is a moral to this story.....I think there may be.....

Never underestimate the power of a woman feeding one of her indulgences. (ESPECIALLY when there are a lot of people praying!)

I figure it this way - it could have been worse....the check-out lady at Wal-Mart could have just told me cancer patients can't eat licorice. Heaven help her if THAT ever happens......(I'm kidding....seriously...I wouldn't hurt her....mame her, perhaps, but not for life.)


please pray for Jim Beard. He is the father of a high school friend and he is currently at Siteman's battling cancer......thank you, and God Bless your day!!!

2 comments:

ken said...

Becky, if you keep running into hesitant masseurs, please know that I'm not trained but extremely willing. Remember that night in the Swiss Chalet when you were tired, the wine was flowing and....wait a minute...this blog is public, right?

David said...

Aunt Becky, I just got to ask, Has David met KB yet? IF NOT... you might want to take a trip...

And KB, thanks for making us all laugh! I know you are making Aunt Becky laugh! l