Thursday, October 23, 2008

Test Results

We finally received the final pathology report. We have been waiting on the results of the hormone receptor and Her-2 tests. The results were as follows:

Estrogen receptors: Negative

Progesterone receptors: Negative

Her-2: 0+/Negative

What does this mean? Hormone receptors are like ears on breast cells that listen to signals from hormones (God knows I have enough of these - they are called Bella, Gracie, and Sophie). These signals "turn on" growth in breast cells that have receptors. Breast cells that do not have receptors are "negative" for these hormones. Breat cancers that are either ER or PR positive, or both, tend to respond well to hormone therapy. My cancer does not have hormone receptors.

In my opinion this is neither good or bad for me - I am having a bilateral simple mastectomy so there will be no need for radiation (assuming no cancer in the lymph nodes) and there is a slight possibility there will be no need for chemo (this is what I am banking on). Hormone therapy is just one of the options a woman has IN ADDITION to chemo ro radiation, or both. All I can say is - I believe when the breasts are removed the cancer will be gone, and they will not find any cancer in the rest of my body.....therefore, mama won't be needing any drugs, anyway!

I have a great visual for you (courtesy of Annie) regarding a mastectomy. Imagine a hard-boiled egg. You cut the top off of it and suck out all of the insides.....then, you fill it back up with the other stuff. Now, how is that for understanding??

Have a superfantastic day!!!

No comments: