Thursday, November 6, 2008

What am I missing?

I really miss my kids. I can tell you, without a doubt, the hardest part of dealing with cancer, is not getting to be with my babies. I knew the first several weeks after surgery would be a little rough around the edges.....honestly, I can take the physical pain, but I am learning that the emotional strain is a bit tougher to manage.

However, each day the pain is less and I feel better than the day before. Rest does a body wonders....tomorrow I go see Dr. Brant and he will hopefully remove the tubes and the reconstructive process will be in full gear.

And....I look forward to the time of day when the kids come home. Bella comes in every night and rubs my arm and asks me if I am okay. Sophie, quite eloquently adds, "Are she's boobies feel better?". And then there is Gracie, she runs to the bedroom to get Goomer. Goomer is the stuffed bear that David gave me when I woke up from surgery. (He was going to name it "Tumor" but thought that was totally not cool....yes, I tend to agree with that.) Anyway, Gracie gets Goomer out of her bed, and puts him in bed with me - until it is time for her to go to bed again.....and an argument begins.....Bella vs. Gracie - who gets to put their arm around the bear? Yes, I love this time of day the most. I can't wait to get back to our regular routine....where mommy rubs everybody's tummy, and sings "Jesus Loves Me" with Sophie.

And then there is Austin. He is SOOOOO like I was at that age - wanting to be involved in everything, and exploring all of his options. I am so proud of him...but as a result of his desire to get out and explore, I really do not see much of him, anyway - but he has never missed a day of kissing his mommy good-nite. I hope that never changes.

Until all is normal again, I will simply wake up each day thanking God for the advances made in breast cancer research, praising Him for the pain that is making me better, and asking Him to bless your day.

7 comments:

Karen Castle Romero said...

What is life without a few challenges to shake up the routine. You are doing great! And you will be back to your favorite tasks very soon. Love you very much!!

Shelley said...

While I am missing one of my dearest friends terribly ... I continue to pray for you and your family daily. I am elated to read the news from the doctor (although, deep down I always believed that was what you would hear). Call me for anything (tell David too) - I am just across the road neighbor and I LOVE YOU!

Loving you like my own Sis - Shelley

McCombs Family said...

Remember, this is merely a bump in the road. It will all continue to get better and better, and you will be back to your "regular" routine, with even more appreciation for it! Keep getting the rest while you can!

Eileen Spratt said...

Becky-Not a day has gone by since I found out that you & your family haven't been in my thoughts & prayers. I'm praying for a quick recovery, no more pain, and no more cancer EVER!!

Hallie said...

Becky,I hope you are feeling better with each passing day :) Remember I love you ALL bunches!!!Have a great weekend!!

Unknown said...

Becky, you don't know me but I know Kari Rieuf from church and she told me about you. I just wanted to let you know that since the day of your surgery I have been praying for you and your family. I have been thinking about you a lot because of what Kari told me, and I am so glad to read that you are doing so well. Sincerely, Jeannette Chernin

Robin C. said...

Becky, I went to the play last night and Austin did an awesome job in his first PHS production. A couple of moms had video cameras so I'm sure you will enjoy it when you feel up to watching it. Hope you have a great weekend!