Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Family Heirlooms

I am a very fortunate person (to say the least). I was raised in a Christian home...with loving parents who taught me the value of family. I wouldn't trade my station in life for anything....well, except maybe more precious time with those who are no longer here.....

I have probably shared with you - individually - about some of the struggles I have had emotionally dealing with cancer. As always, the cancer is the easy part....the hard part is realizing how it is effecting others......and, most humbly, how it must have effected those in my life who had cancer before...

David and I were travelling back to Pittsfield one day after a trip to Siteman, and thus the conversation began. I am not really sure what started it all....but I began to talk about my dad. Now, my dad never had cancer, but he had to watch his beautiful bride be eaten away by it - and while I often think of my mom having cancer, I hadn't really thought about what my dad must have gone through....until I had the opportunity to watch David. On this particular day, I was telling David how thankful I was to have him in my life to share this...well....cancer. Not something you want to "share" with someone.....but man how thankful I am he is in it with me. As we were talking, I lost it.....I told him I was thankful that he and I would NEVER feel what my parents felt - knowing mom would die.....and to have to live through that. I can't desribe it, but to say I am so humbled....it brings me back to earth. I was going on and on about my thanksgiving - and David was silently standing by and listening. He gently grabbed my hand and blurted, "aren't you ready for lunch?" Yikes - I started laughing!!! It was a good breaker....

But what does all this have to do with family? Back to my dad......this past weekend I had the great surprise of having two of my cousins and a friend come to our house for The first shotgun weekend.....I knew Brent was coming...and then there popped up Jeremy!!! I was thrilled. I can not describe in words for you how exciting it was to see them. Later that night David commented that I seemed very happy about them coming....and he couldn't put his finger on it. I thought it interesting that he noticed.....men just don't notice that stuff. I mean - I can come home with orange hair and a nose piercing....and David wouldn't notice (a guy thing??)

Anyway......every time I am around someone from our Tennessee family....they talk about my dad - they say something about my daddy....and it always makes my heart skip a beat....and later, it will make me cry. And I knew that Brent would bring me that joy. And, folks, let me share what I didn't share earlier about that AWFUL Friday with 7B..... later that night, when the guys came in from hunting....Brent started talking about my daddy......and all I can say is - for every woman out there who knows the feeling of having your daddy hold you and comfort you....I had that feeling at that moment...and for an evening, cancer was no longer there.

Family - I am so thankful. That word is so much bigger than blood...it is a community of friends, christians, loved ones and kin.....and they are all gifts from God. Just like you. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. My prayer tonight is that God shows you the blessings He has given in your family and you are able to embrace them. I pray I will do the same.

1 comment:

sis said...

AMEN! For our wonderful family and the short time we had with the 3 of them. I am so glad I still have you.I will pray for you on Tuesday, as I do everyday, and for Jim. Love you and happy Thanksgiving Sissy.