Saturday, November 8, 2008

How does anyone do it?

Many people have asked how I am doing....and then followed with "How are you doing it?"

First of all - being a member of a caring community helps. I don't think anyone could ever deny the best place to be when you are in trouble - is living in a small community. No matter what may ale you, if you are in need, people come. (our government could really learn a valuable lesson if they would follow our lead) David, myself, and the kids have had the pleasure of experiencing this over the past few weeks.

In addition to the love and compassion of family and friends, I have had the great fortune to rely on something else....or rather someone else...and I have had several questions, or inquiries, regarding my "faith." So I wanted to share with you.....how I am doing it.

There is one quote in particular that I say to myself every day......every single day...Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Actually, I say "I can do all things through Christ Jesus Who strengthens me." Folks, it is no secret that I am a WIMP...I can not take pain and heaven knows I am not a patient person...although God has taught me a lot about both those items in the past few weeks...not physical pain, actually - but the emotional pain my family has had to endure. To me, that pain is far worse than anything I have had to go through. I have had to remind myself many times that the bible didn't say I could do "some" things.....or "the things I choose". It says I can do ALL things.....and that is how I am dealing with the cancer.

So I guess that is my answer. A small, caring, loving community of friends and family, and the Word of God.

Phillipians 4:13

3 comments:

sis said...

That has been my theme since I went on my first Emmaus walk, I truly believe this world would be a better place if we all did a little more of relying on Jesus Christ. I admire you and your patience. You are like me on that accord. I love you sissy, Glad the tubes are out and this hopefully is the down hill swing.

Tammy said...

Love you Becky! I am praising God for you!

Tammy

P.S. Katheryn sends her hugs.

Missy said...

Becky,
I know that you know that there are people who DON'T even know you that are praying for you. I want you to know that there are, also, those of us who DO know you (how many times can I actually use "know" in one sentence? ya know?) and who haven't seen you in a while, like since the last class reunion who are praying for you and your family as well. Your faith and trust in the Lord are inspiring. Thank you for being you and for sharing your experience with all of us.