Tuesday, November 18, 2008

FKA "Breasts"

Thought I would give a little update....not sure I even remember everything I have written lately...so here goes.

I go back to the doctor this Friday to prepare for chemo. I will actually meet with 3 different doctors - this is by design. In order to save time and money I want to meet with my reconstructive surgeon when I have other appointments.....thus the reason for 3 doctors in one day. This Friday I will have the heart test, labs, port placement, and the first injection into my tissue expanders....what does all this mean? The heart test is to be sure my heart is healthy. Of course we know it is - but they need "medical" confirmation for it. The port is for them to draw blood and administer the chemo over the next 6 months....no needles in the arm!! I must admit that thrills me. One of my most vivid memories of my mom's experience was the bruised arm. Hers was horrible - I am sure that wouldn't happen today.....and there is no chance of it happening with a port. Finally - the injection will start to fill the expanders and give me more cleavage. Yeehaw!!

Not so sure about the cleavage thing and have been rethinking my options....although, I am happy to report I had several offers to assist in the process this past weekend. One fellow actually even gave his request for what size he would like to see - 44DD. That will never happen (I had a hard time even laughing at that - all I could think of was the extra 10 pounds that was sure to add)......AND...........I have become accustomed to taking a shower and shaving my legs without any interference.....a REAL NICE benefit of no cleavage in the area! However, at the end of the day this is a joint decision and David has indicated he would like there to be something occupying the area formerly known as "the breasts."

So with some reluctance I will drag myself to the doctor on Friday and start filling the bags...I truly can't wait to tell you all about it.......

p.s. thank you for your cards, emails, calls, thoughts, prayers, food, gifts..........they are a highlight of my days

No comments: