Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Day in the Life

First of all....THANK you for your prayers. I feel them, and it is such a great feeling!!! I was released from the hospital Friday, late morning and have comfortably settled into my bed. I thought I would share with you a little of what went on since last Wednesday morning.....

David and I started the day by taking the kids to school. Let me back-up a second. Before we took the kids to school I found Austin's IPOD under the chaise in our bedroom. (We thought that was a great sign.) We took the Illinois side and had minimal traffic. picked up Robin and Nelsie at the airport and proceeded to the hospital. From the moment we arrived I felt very much at peace - I was so thankful that David would have someone there to wait with him.
I was called back at 11:30 to be prepped for surgery. After they prepped me for surgery, David, Robin, and Nelsie each got to come back and wait with me for awhile. Even though we knew I would be just fine, David became emotional. It was difficult for him to deal with something like this (btw....thanks for your prayers). But he put on a big smile and said, "see ya later. I love you."
Keep in mind, surgery was supposed to start at 1:00 and last 4 hours. Unfortunately it did not start until 2:30....so everyone had to wait on me...and I really felt bad about that....but the last thing I remember prior to the surgery...is David smiling at me when he left the prep area....

And the next thing I knew I was waking up. Let me just say it now - this cancer thing is not all it was cracked up to be. WOW is it painful, or what? I asked the nurse if they gave me any drugs. I don't remember what she said, but I kept thinking that this is a small price to pay to be cancer-free. And I wanted David...I asked them to please hurry so I could see him.....and then there he was......and I cried. I think I cried most of the night Wednesday. They were good tears, the refreshing kind that you actually want to share. David stayed in the room with me until midnight and then went to the Parkway Hotel that is connected to get a good night's rest. He couldn't hold me, but he touched my arm and hand all night....I needed that calming touch.
Because at 6am the cavalry began to appear. The first doctor I will call "McDreamy" I don't even watch Grey's anatomy....but this guy puts all others to shame. And do you know what the first thing he said to me was? "Hello, I'm dr. so-n-so, could I look at your incisions?" What am I gonna say to that? I said sure. However, I was thinking to myself - what in the world????He must know that the breasts are gone.. Oh well, I didn't think much of it until 8 more filed in (not all at the same time) and subsequently asked if they could look at the incisions. I know they were looking for signs of infection or the breast tissue dying, but it certainly took me down a notch or two.
I am doing great, I think. In my opinion the pain I am feeling is normal. I have terrible pains in the chest area - the nurse actually told me that if I was bigger it wouldn't hurt as bad, but since I work out and have some defined muscles, it is more painful. GREAT - why didn't I know this 5 months ago????? And the other great thing I am learning about is gas. Every one of those doctors asked me if I was able to get up and walk AND if I had gas. I wanted to say NO - don't they know that women don't do that.....geez, what a thing to ask a lady. I responded appropriately. Dr. Ross proceeded to tell me that during surgery your intestines "shut down". The longer you are under, the longer it takes for the intestines to kick back into gear. Needless to say, constipation is a word which has been added to my vocabulary. I am eating a bit - apples and oatmeal. I am thinking if this can't do the breakthrough, what can!!

Next Friday I have to go back to see Dr. Brandt (the reconstructive surgeon). I hope he will remove the tubes at that time. Then I will be going to see him weekly until we think the breasts are the size I want them to be. I can explain more about that later.....

In the meantime, I won't be doing much of anything - I can't read a book because my eyes cannot focus. Typing this blog has been a challenge today - but I thought I would share a little..... and say thank you....

7 comments:

Girl Friday said...

I can not wait to see you on Monday. Needless to say you really were to begin to worry me when I seen you on Saturday. But I know you are a fighter and you will get through this and each day you will see improvements. I am so glad that Nelsie was able to stay as long as she did, she is a saint when it comes to the girls. Not much exciting going on at the office, except I am trying to be just as tough as you are on the renters, I miss you!!. So glad you found the ipod, I looked every where too on Monday, never thought to look under there. Will go for now, stay strong, rest, eat better, see you on Monday, Love Elaine

Lori B. said...

Becky,
Just know you are in our thoughts and prayers. You have been so strong and couragous throughout, keep it up.
Lori

McCombs Family said...

We're so glad to know that you are resting at home. We continue to pray for a speedy recovery. Love, Shawn & Amy

mrowl1968 said...

So glad to hear that you are home and doing well. I know one little girl who was happy to see you home. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers. If you ever need help shuttling kids or anything let me know. I would be more than happy to help out. I was really glad that I got to meet Robin and Nelsie. What wonderful people you have in your life.
Take care.
Deanna (better known as Miss Dee)

Nelsie said...

YEAAAA!!!! I am so excited that you were able to get onto your blog. Everybody should know that one of the first things you asked me after your surgery (after you asked if your boobs were flat :) ) was what I said on your blog. You kill me! :) Love you and miss you guys already.
N.-

ken said...

They probably didn't tell you while you were in the hospital, but while you were gone I did my best to get your kids straightened out. First, there was the night in the bar in Valley City, the luxury tour of "Pearl at Night," then the afternoon walking tour of the ballet district in Nebo. I was headed for the "Great Literary Legends of Pleasant Hill" tour but the entire town was closed for bow hunting.
Let me know when you're going back in... I still have the "Architecture of Florence" and the "Naughty Night in Perry Tour" to go.
Love you, Bec...and praying with joy...

Sherry P said...

hey mom!!!! i just thought i would leave a comment on here for you telling you how much i love you and i hope that you get well soon!!! your other son, Coltyn....I LOVE YOU!!! HAHA