Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Next Chapter

Well, I have come to the conclusion that chemo is the next chapter...yep....I want to get it into a chapter ALL BY ITSELF!!! I figure - I have the power to determine where it falls in the grand scheme of things...and I don't want it falling anywhere near the good stuff....so it is.

Chemo has been a lesson for me - albeit a funny one, believe it or not. (not TOTALLY funny) Picture this if you can. David and I enter the "pod" for our first chemo and there are 6 other patients there receiving some kind of chemotherapy. Now enters muah "foreign for 'me'" - and this is my first rodeo........so I decided to take it all in....and I did. This is what I witnessed...

A very nice, quiet lady in the bed next to mine - had already waited 3 hours for a 30 minute drip. All I could think was that I needed to take a dose of her "patience" pill. I think I would have wanted to wring someone's neck after an hour.....and she was there more than three. The lady directly across from me - 4 hour drip; the gentleman to the left of me - 4 years of cancer...92 rounds of chemo and still going....pretty good sense of humor, I might add....and then there was the classy lady who was in and out - looked like she might be late for an appt at the hairdresser (seriously - her wig was fantastic....and I am certain that in the midst of her chemo there wasn't ANYTHING stopping her regular routine...didn't know her yet - but I really liked her spunk). And so it went.

An observation I made was that NO ONE was eating - well, the occassional patient asked for pretzels or peanut butter crackers...but there wasn't ANYONE in that pod with Red Vine Licorice, peanuts, and a wrap from Applebee's...no, NO ONE but ME!!!!! I am absolutely certain they all left the pod that day and said to themselves, "New girl in pod #3...someone please send the barf bag home with her 'cause this darlin' ain't got a clue." And....uuuhhh....they would have been right.

And so it went..the meds weren't right...I am still battling the nausea, but this is SO MINOR in my opinion. I try to put this in perspective and this is the way I see it. Thirty years ago there was no such thing as a medicine for my mom to take to battle the nausea - she just did it.....and that woman NEVER complained. If you think for a second I am exaggeratting, just ask one of the more than two thousand people who attended her funeral....she was not a complainer. She was simply the most beautiful woman I have ever known......

Over the past few days I have asked myself several times - WHY in the world did I agree to a clinical trial? WHY did I get to be blessed with chemo over Christmas? Why do I have to be so darn tired? Okay - I see a terrible theme here and it is called SELF-INDULGENCE. It never worked for me before - and it isn't going to work for me now. For the clinical trial - this is my rationalization. My mom gave her life and very valuable research for cancer development......surely I can give 5 months - so that maybe a new standard can be created and even more lives saved in the future.

Christmas - I can think of NO better time than to endure this. I am humbled every morning at the beautiful reminder that many many years ago Mary gave birth to a tiny baby boy who lived - and died - for me. The pain or nausea is just a part of me right now - a small reminder that God loves me and had not forgotten me.....that......that is beautiful.

I have said it before and I will say it again - I feel guilty ever complaining (maybe that is why I reserve it for private moments with David....when he just understands I need to be a little tyrant - you know....for just a minute. Don't tell him - but I don't really feel the need to complain...just the need to hit on him for awhile!!!hehehehe). I believe it - I have learned very early that nearly every person I run into at the center for advanced medicine is worse off than me....and I pray their lives are as enriched as mine.......

I will continue to blog - and share...and thank you for taking this journey with me. All I know for sure is that the Grace of God comes to me daily through you - little graces you give me....(ie. Jill's dinner on the first day of my chemo when I could not move.....you are right, sister, I probably would not have called!!! Thanks for loving me) I have many many stories and look forward to sharing!!!!

Love, Becky

1 comment:

sis said...

Sis,
I wish that mom would have had the modern technology to write what she was thinking when she was going through her battle. This would of helped each one of us kids. I am glad you have David and as I have said before those 4 precious reasons you do this. Lots of love to you, Keep the faith, you are my inspiration.
Love you,
Sissy