Wednesday, December 17, 2008

December 17th - Hair today, gone tomorrow

One of the things my doctor recommended was daily bathing - In order to keep germs and bacteria at a minimum, and reduce the chance of infection, etc. SO, I have a ritual - get up, take a shower, get ready....blah....blah....blah

Today, I got up - washed my hair, and as I was pulling my hand away and looked down - I feared I had enteres a twilight zone of another place.....I looked like an APE!!! There was hair everywhere. Needless to say, I had pulled out half of my head. I have said in the past that as soon as my hair started to show signs of falling out, I would shave my head. My motivation for that comment was the memories I have of my mommy's hair falling out - i remember it....and I do not like that memory. But today I thought....naaawwww....I will see how much I have and maybe I can fix it another day. (It must have been the loopy drugs talking)

So I got out of the shower, let my hair dry naturally for a few mintes while I talked to Jill, and then returned to the bathroom. I was thinking - short hair, short "do" - this is no problem. As I rounded the door and peaked at myself in the mirror, I nearly gagged at the site. Seriously - it was HYSTERICAL!!! Do you know those men (sorry men - you again) who have half a head of hair and instead of cutting it to look right, they let one side grow REALLY long and flip it over to the other side? Do you know what I am talking about - THAT IS WHO I WAS LOOKING AT IN THE MIRROR!!!! I nearly took a photo. No - that is not true. I actually went to get the camera - I couldn't let this one pass.....but I couldn't find that silly little fella and I was a bit ticked.

At any rate, I feared that if I left my hair looking like that it would scare my kids to death if they saw it. Not to mention I was shedding everywhere - I could not get out of the bathroom - every time I touched my head, a bundle of hair came out. So, I decided - this is it.....and I shaved it. Well - not really - I used David's clippers. I didn't feel the need to shave because in the next day or two the rest of the stubble will fall out. And you know what - this is GREAT!! Or, it would be if it were summertime - I don't know how bald poeple do it. Even with my wig on, my head is cold when I go outside....

So David, Gracie and I were in the office this evening waiting on them to go to the Christmas program at the Crossroads (I can not attend...way too close of quarters with too many people - my doctor said....no...and I can not believe I am listening to that...but daddy has the video camera!!!) Back to the office........Gracie laid her cookie on my desk that Ms. Stacy gave her for Christmas and then went to sit on her dad's lap. I yelled in to her - "Gracie, is this cookie for me?" And she said, "yes." Her dad then told her that he thought it was for him....and she told him, "Mom is BALD so she gets the cookie!!!"

It is like I said - this cancer thing is really paying off!!!! Have a great day - and God Bless!!!

5 comments:

Peggy W said...

Here's an idea to reference the c-day. It's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your dilema. "kemo sabe". I never really watched the lone ranger, but in wikipedia it means 'trusty scout' and 'faithful friend'. Let us know if you need anything! Jeff & Peggy Westerfield (pwester432@aol.com)

McCombs Family said...

Take advantage of all the benefits while you can - before you know it, treatments will all be over and you won't have a dr. excuse to get you out of things!

ken said...

I don't think I need to comment on this blog entry.

ken said...

proof

Keith said...

Before I forget, Naqncy and I wish you guys a Merry Christmas. And thank you for helping keep our thoughts and prayers on focus.
Keith