Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Late Night Antics

Okay - so, I need to sit back for a minute and say THANK YOU, GOD, for showing me the benefits of chemo. Because, seriously, those "bennies" were lacking at best over the past week...until last night,.

Ladies - you will love this. Men - the cat is out of the bag. No longer can you ever tell your wife that...you just can't handle the smell....pppeeeeeeuuwwwww.

I was home all day with Sophie yesterday - she had a virus of some sort going through her tummy. Every time she would dry-heave in the bucket, David would follow-up by making me douse myelf with the germ-x....he has become the master at it - and, by the way, if you need any don't bother going to Wal-Mart. He bought out the entire store the day after the doctor told me to stay away from germs!!!

Then there was last night.....Sophie was better....Gracie mentioned not feeling well....and we all went to bed with visions of sugarplums in our heads.....clean bodies, brushed teeth, clean jammers, and a peaceful evening............and then RALPH showed up!!!!

At 10:44 I could hear Gracie losing what appeared to be chunks of enormous size - and I have no idea where she was storing them. David looked at me and proclaimed, "You CAN NOT be around this - get out of here." For the first time - literally - in my life - I did not argue....I turned and ran as fast as I could and flew back in bed. I lie there feeling extreme guilt about the turbo-charged dad in the other room (picture this...before David could clean up the puke he put on orange dishwashing gloves, kleenexes in both nostrils and ears, and a roll of paper towles) This guy was going in for the kill!!! Did I mention I was feling some guilt? It is the holiday season...I suppose my blogs should not contain any falsehoods....

And, folks...it didn't stop there - poor guy......Gracie vomitted FOUR times throughout the night - and David graciously arose each time. And the best part (can't believe he would agree there were any bst parts) was when I heard him say, "Gracie, please, I am begging you - the next time you are going to puke, please puke in this bucket. Don't try to run to the bathroom. Please. Please listen to your daddy." Yes - he was desperate....and how can you possibly talk angrily to a 5 year-old vomitter at 3am!!!!

So - that's it. Thanks to chemo, I am puke free. The way I see it, by the time this is all over I will most likely be the ONLY person in the family who is NOT sick!!! Now, how is THAT for ironic!!

God - thank you for the Grace you give us each and every day to deal with the big...and small..things. Please send your grace right now to those who are hurting - much more than I could imagine.. Take away the pain in their hearts - and give them the peace that only You Can offer. I thank you in advance......and praise You forever.

3 comments:

McCombs Family said...

Tell David I feel for him! I spent Thanksgiving dealing with all 5 in my family (4 kids and Dad!) all puking throughout the night before and morning of Thanksgiving - no trip to Chicago for us! Even though you couldn't be in there to help, thank goodness you weren't puking, too, so he wouldn't be worrying about you. Take care and stay healthy! Amy

Nelsie said...

I am cracking up! If only I was there and could videotape this b/c I think at some point in the future David would be laughing as hard as I am right now.
On another note, poor Gracie poo...I will call her tonight and see how she is feeling. I am seriously cracking up...i should be saying poor David right now...but for some reason I am not...probably b/c I know that would be ME if I was at home with you guys b/c the girls would be sleepign with me in my bed downstairs. Oh dear...

Tasha said...

Hi Honey! Sometime when your stomach is feeling strong, ask Kent to tell you & David about the Davis ladies bout with the flu last year. Hope everyone is feeling better soon! I remember your family daily in my prayers.