Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A little bit of speed.....and Two for Two!!!

Back in October I had the opportunity to blog about the day I was driving home....and was stopped by the law in Missouri. I recall the moment the officer stepped up to the vehicle....and asked where I had been. I simply told him the truth - the Siteman Cancer Center. Looking back - it was definately the word "cancer" that got his attention. Thank God it was NOT the shopping bags in the back of the vehicle......or the look on Jill's face!!!



Since that visit to the hospital there has been one common denominator - I am unable to drive after any of my treatments. The first eight weeks I couldn't because of the narcotics they gave me. Now I can't because of the pre-meds and sleeping medication....I think they give me enough to "kill a rat in lab tests." I will say, however, that when someone other than David takes me, I drive TO the treatment - so the other driver only has to transport me home!!



On Tuesday, as you know, Jill and I had a swell time. I was basically high all day on caffeine. And While the nurse never gave specific directions about what would happen after the caffeine wore off....I am sure she would have told me to expect to sleep for awhile....I am STILL feeling the effects of that coffee.....but it did not inhibit my ability to spot a bargain. My new favorite store is ANY store with an 80% off rack!!!!



I digress.....the day was wearing to an end and Jill and I were finally on the way home. I should also note that David and I USED to take route 79 to the hospital - and anyplace else we may be travelling to in St Louis. After my first trip with Jill....we changed our routine. We now take 40/61. It may be a bit further - but it is shorter....and the ride is so much nicer (and, I should mention that route 79 is the road I was on in October when the law pulled me over!!!).....so we were on our way home....on route 40/61....talking about something I can not quite remember when Jill says......



Oh, $#!&!!!!!. I looked at her and asked what was wrong. It was dark out as it was past 7pm...I think it was around 7:45. (you ask how I know this.....well....at 7:23 we passed a shopping development that we decided we would come back to - I told her we should time how far it was from her house so we would know exactly how long it would take to get there.......and it was AFTER this time she said that dirty word )Anyway, she indicated that she just saw 4 cop cars and they were pulling on to the road. I told her not to worry - to just stay behind the truck we were following and go 65...she should be just fine. (Besides....we weren't on the infamous route 79!!!) I then proceeded to tell her that if she DID get pulled over she could just tell them we came from the Siteman Cancer Center (truth...it may have been 8 hours earlier we came from there....but it was the truth)......I would keep my hat off and if she needed me to....I would even moan a little. Bald rules.



In the next instant the little cherry lights came on.....and it was evident they were following us and we needed to pull over. Jill remained very calm - I must say she was a sight better than I was in October. As I recall...I used a few swear words and was not at all happy the cop was approaching my car. Jill wasn't either, but MAN she was cool.....and the conversation went something like this:



Jill: Becky - I am going to need my license and my insurance card. And...do you think this guy will see all the shopping bags???



Becky: No - you will need my insurance card since this is my car....I will get it - no problem, don't worry.......and I thnk it is too dark for him to see the bags in the back....(here comes the officer....and not one swear word from Jill - I can SO take a lesson from her)



Officer: Mam, I am going to need to see your license, insurance card and registration. You were going a little fast back there. You were driving 70 in a 60 MPH zone.



Jill: You are kidding - I thought the speed limit was 65



Officer: No, mam, the 65 MPH zone starts right arouond the curve



(Okay - at this point, Jill and I both look up and directly in front of us on the side of the road is the sign which indicates that the speed limit is 65 MPH....I could not believe it - seriously - route 40/61 had the SAME SPEED TRAPS as route 79...I was so not loving the Missouri transportation system at this point.....and I can GUARANTEE you that my response would NOT have been the same as Jill's)



Jill: Oh my gosh.....officer, we just came from Siteman and this isn't my vehicle so my friend is getting her insurance card.



Officer: You just came from where? (Oh, man,,, I knew it - she was SO COOL....she walked him right into that trap...I loved it - I knew that sweet revenge was on the way)



Jill: The Siteman Cancer Center. My friend here had a chemo treatment today and she is not feeling very well. (Jill says this with a little laugh, a flip of the head, and a pat on my leg)



Becky: Officer, here is my insurance card. Do you need to see my license, as well?



Officer: (At this point he bends down....just a little.....and looks into the vehicle. Of course, he spots the bald head......) No, thank you, mam...I don't need to see your insurance card, either. Ladies,there aren't going to be any tickets issued today, but please slow down and be careful.



Jill: Officer, I am from Illinois.....I had no idea it was 60 MPH here!!!! (she laughs a bit louder and flashes those pearly whites) Thank you so much, officer. Have a great day. Thank you!!!!



I think Jill said more - and the officer said more - in the exchange....but I don't remember it all. All I can remember is how really COOL she was!!!! She was sooooooo different than me - and, quite obviously - the stronger of the two of us. She rocked!!!!!



hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. First of all - it took the officer a very long time to get to the vehicle when he first pulled us over. I told Jill - he was WRITING THE TICKET, Jill!!!!! And doing a search on the vehicle. Then, he walked up to the vehicle and she rolled down the window. I want to say right now......her getting out of that ticket had NOTHING to do with the word cancer and my bald head (not to mention I did not have to moan even ONE time!!!!) No - he was a young, attractive policeman.....he walked up to the window and saw Jill and I think he wanted to faint - she is GORGEOUS...so, of course, he smiled the whole time he was talking...and probably was going to ask her out until she started the whole cancer routine (thank God...because she would have had to turn him down....and then he WOULD have written a ticket!!!)



We are, as Jill so eloquently stated, "Two for Two." The moral to this story......when I can no longer use the "cancer" routine....I will need to make sure I am riding with Jill!!!

No comments: