Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cocky...to be or not to be.

I have always told my kids to not be cocky. Cocky gets you nowhere - especially when it is with your mother!! Why is it that I can not heed my own advice???

Yesterday was the arrival date of Karen - she was flying in from California to take some photos of her bald friend (that would be me). I thought I should clarify since Karen has a lot of bald friends...many of whom are former classmates - yikes - can't believe it - but there are a lot of bald 40-somethings out there.....As a matter of fact, I had dinner Saturday night with three of them!! It was a little funny. I am not sure how we got on the subject, but Phil mentioned that "bald rules"...and I piped in, "Hey, we do!!!". With me at the table, we actually had FOUR baldies!!! Let me just add....the men make much better looking baldies!!!

I digress...back to karen. Sunday I received a call from her. I thought for sure we were going to discuss her itenerary and coordinating her pick-up at the airport. The first words out of her mouth were, "I have a cold and mom says I can't come see you." HA!!! I thought she was joking. She wasn't. No problem - I simply asked her if she had a fever or the flu. Of course, she did not. So, I said I would call the medical oncologist and see what he said. The great thing about Siteman - they have a medical oncologist on call 24/7 and I can call them about ANYTHING......so I did. I really didn't think it was necessary - especially since Karen did not have a fever. I had always been told I could not be around anyone who had a fever or the flu for at least two weeks after....if someone had said a "cold" then I missed it.

So the doctor called me back........and agreed that Karen could not come. Well, those were not her exact words. Karen could come if I wore a mask the entire time, washed my hands continuously.....and was not exposed to Karen at all. Needless to say, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. Seriously - I thought the doctor would say it was no problem since she had not had a fever. Well, the fever had nothing to do with it. The issue is infection - and since she has a sore throat, is sneezing (transference) and doesn't feel very good, there is a high probability she could give me something. Which - would not be an issue if I was not taking chemotherapy........

Remember my comment about being cocky? Well - I prefer to call it over-confident. that sounds so much better...And, if I might add, I think a little bit of cocky does a whole lot of good when you are fighting cancer.....

So, I may have been a little cocky - but Karen will get here eventually. So, I guess I be!!!

1 comment:

Karen Castle Romero said...

That lousy cold only postponed the inevitable. I will get there and record your beautiful baldness! See you soon, but when you have warmer weather! Why do you think I live in California . . . I really dislike winter (that's an understatement)!