Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Goodie Bag

Tuesday is chemo day around here.....and this week was no excpetion. Well, there was an exception - David got the day "off." My friend, Patti Saxer, otherwise referred to as "neighbor" took me for the day. This is what I call true friendship - a woman that will get up at 4am to be at my house by 5:45am in order to leave (it seems I have a couple of girlfriends who fall in this category!!! They are both shoppers, hard workers, and great moms....yeah - that explains it...early to rise is no big deal for them!!!) But the day started before Tuesday morning....it started last week when I got a big old package in the mail........

Yes, it came from my friend Beth. And it was big - so I was thinking....hhhmmmm...Beth has sent me some more cookies - and I was WRONG...well, partly wrong. She sent the cookies allright - but they were for David. For me - it was better. Beth had sent an awesome bag filled with all kinds of goodies that I would need for my day at chemo....it was like Christmas morning when I unpack the stocking all over again!!!

You would not believe what I was pulling out of this bag. I had magazines to read, crossword puzzle books to do (with a pen attached!!!), nuts, kleenexes, sanitizer, gum, licorice, trailmix, more nuts, and I am telling you - each time I opened the bag I found something else...something new that would satisfy whatever need I had at the time...bad breath, altoids to suck on when they accessed my port, (this was great - I asked Patti to hand me the bag THINKING I was going to grab some gum....and out from under the magazine popped the altoids.....beth thought of everything). So...the day wore on and it became very clear that everything I would need to make this day a little brighter, or my stomach a little happier......was in the bag. It reminded me of something else that has everything I need...........

The good book....full of wisdom, words of love, and a remedy for every ailment I have - in any day. I even referred to my bag as my "chemo bible....." I am in love with this bag and plan to keep it filled - and take it each and every Tuesday not only as a reminder of the love I have received from so many....but as a token of what God has done for me throughout this entire process....which is to remind me daily that He deals in the details. He sent his son to die on the cross.....taking care of me through a little chemo would seem to be something that should not even hit God's radar.....but it does. He doesn't forget the details....and I am so thankful for Him.....I am most assuredly thankful each day for the goodie bag. I am most thankful each day.....for you.

No comments: