Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A few dates to remember

My first surgery will be June 4th. I am having my Ooopherectomy that day - you gotta love that name!! Dr. Thaker will remove my ovaries and my filopian tubes. I am not having a complete hysterectomy. It is not necessary since I am not having any trouble in that area and there is no connection between the BRCA1 gene and cancer of the uterus. I was very happy to hear this - because it is not normal to remove these organs. The uterus actually helps to hold up the bladder and some other stuff as well (can't remember all she said). I was just happy to hear Iwon't have to have a complete hysterectomy!!

Now, the breast reconstruction....will occur in September. Because of possible bacteria in the blood stream after the ooopherectomy we must wait 3 months. If bacteria were to land on my reconstruction job it would be a very, very bad thing!! So - I chose to have the ovaries removed first because I think it is by far the most important of the two surgeries. I will, however, have to watch it when I give people hugs. I hugged Nelsie good-bye at the airport the other day and literally bruised her chest where she hit my boobs!! I told you they were like brick-bats. I bet if the law were to inspect these suckers they would make me register them as weapons....

And, finally, we are planning a party. I would really like to have people get together to celebrate - life, recovery, survivorship, and hope. And it will be SO NICE to not be tired anymore!! So, mark your calendars for August 22nd.....and I will have more details forthcoming. I love you - and you are invited to share with me!! I figure, you have been on this journey with me - we need to celebrate together!!!

I have a lot to share with you - my last chemo today, my son, my friend Karen shaving her head, Easter.....so, tomorrow I plan to put on some photos and share!!! Thanks for being there...have a super day!!!

No comments: