Friday, January 2, 2009

Day Three - No Stolen Moments

Prior to having surgery for the bilateral mastectomy on October 29th, I remember having a conversation with my brother-in-law, Ed, about "day 3" after surgery. There is an unwritten rule that day three seems to be the toughest day - maybe it has something to do with all of the hard core drugs finally draining from your system and your body waking up....and starting to feel the pain. Well, I remember waiting for that moment on my day 3....and while I was in pain, it didn't seem to be as monumental as I had anticipated. So, while the "day 3" theory did not hold a lot of water for me after my surgery....it seems to hold a ton of ice when it comes to chemo.

I was so excited this week - Day 1, Jill and I actually stopped at Macy's at the Mid Rivers Mall and did a little shopping....Day 2 was New Year's Eve. I felt so good that my husband took me to see ValKyrie and out for DQ....and on our way to the show he had me call the kids and tell them that the whole family would go to the show on New Years Day to See "Marley and Me." Needelss to say, they were thrilled with that phone call!

And then I woke up New Year's Day - and I could already tell that something wasn't quite right. My first clue was when I wanted to rip David's head off over some silly insoles. I was banging around the house, trying not to snap at the kids, taking my drugs, and praying that the terrible nausea I was feeling would disappear. I decided to just ignore it. I went to the kitchen - and David was saying something about the insoles again and I lost it. I told him he could go to the show by himself with the kids (why would I say that....) He just responded that he figured he would anyway. (Ok - that told me that I must have been in a real sour mood all morning!!!)

I was helping to get the kids ready - and David wanted to leave. It was noon and he wanted to get lunch before the movie. I said to wait and I would go too....David replied, "NO....you don't feel good - you can just stay here." TO which I responded by flying into my bedroom, flopping on the bed, and starting to bawl. Yikes - why in the world was I letting this happen? I kept thinking if I would just ignore the nausea, everything would be fine. All I can say it that in the next few moments - it is a good thing that David didn't act like a man....you know - just get the kids and leave. he actually came into the bedroom and told me that if I didn't feel good I could stay at home - but if I wanted to go, I could join them. I knew this was NOT a time to be more dramatic. SO, I hopped up, but on my turban and away we all went (well - they had to wait on me for a few minutes. I may feel nauseous, but I still have to primp!!).

We went to lunch and then the show - and the kids were so good. We actually ended up at Wal-Mart (had to get those insoles taken care of). We were home by 5pm and I slept until this morning at 8am.....but all I can say is that I am SO THANKFUL I did not let the chemo steal that moment for me. 2009 is going to be a great year - and I was so looking forward to doing the family thing that day - and I got to do it!!! Day 3....no big deal.

You see, on the 3rd day, God not only created dry land and seas, but the land began creating vegetation - seed bearing trees according to their kinds. All of this on day 3. SURELY I can handle a little nausea.....I suppose it is all about perspective - and I need to focus a little more outward and a lot less inward.....

Happy New Year - I pray for you many blessings in 2009 - there is no doubt this will be the best year of my life yet.....and I pray you can say the same.

No comments: