Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bald Is Beautiful



This is my friend Troy, the DJ. That is what the girls call him - so, we have sort of followed suit!! He is a dear friend of David and I - and if you look closely, you will probably recognize him. He has played DJ at MANY weddings and parties over the years......and we sort of think he is the best at that!! Anyway.......
I received an email from Troy some time ago saying he would like to go to chemo with me (all I could think of was he must be deranged....why else would he want to waste a day doing that????) So, #4 chemo - Troy took me. And, as you can tell....he is bald. He didn't used to be bald - but he did it so I wouldn't have to be bald alone. I told him that was totally cool (and I am very humbled by it) - but that I felt sort of bad...I mean - I have other bald friends (Ken - you have the most beautiful bald head I know!!!) And after being bald myself - now I know why I used to always want to rub Ken's head....I think I used to drive him nuts! (Ken - I am so sorry!!!). Although - Gracie rubs my head now...and I actually REALLY like it!!!!
Okay - I digress. Troy and I had a great day. I actually received some very encouraging news from my doctor. I was visiting with Dr. Michel prior to the chemo infusion and we were talking specificallly about how I feel terrible between days 3-11. Of course - every patient is different. I said that maybe I was a little depressed due to the lack of lifting and good exercise.....and I have gained 10 pounds in 3 months.....and then.....well, he told me that he has another patient that is going through the EXACT same regimen as me. She hasn't had one day of nausea, pain, discomfort (of course I am jumping up and down wanting to know WHAT IS SHE DOING???????) - And then, in a way only he could say it, he proclaimed "the only difference between you and her is that she weighs 300 pounds." Well.....'nuf said. I'll take a little nausea over that any day. Seriously - do I really want to gain another 150 pounds just to feel better? yeah - that's what I thought.
And I was happy about something else yesterday, as well. I had another "boob fill". They put in 24 ounces (I think 4 pounds of my weight gain are in these boobs!!!). I was a bit freaked out because for the first time I could visibly see them expanding - and it was sooooo cool.......I thought for sure that by looking at them I was a size "b". So the first thing I did this morning.....was put on my size "b" bra. And guess what???? I am still just a big size "a". I could NOT believe that. It has caused me to re-think the size I want to be. And the guy who requested the 44DD (not naming names, Danny)....well.....it will be a cold day you-know-where....before that EVER happens. Seriously - that is just a not-in-this-lifetime thing for me. Moving on.......
The night ended with a drive to Quincy to watch the Freshmen basketball team play. I wish there was more to say....but it just wasn't our night. My son forgot his uniform and called another set of parents to turn around and go get it....and they did (God Bless You Phil and Cindy). I had actually told Austin that David was riding with them.....(I didn't know at the time that he wasn't) ....anyway - I wish David HAD been riding with them - he would have told them to forget it. I usually don't remember much about the day of chemo...they give me a LOT of drugs.....I am sort of hoping I forget a lot about last night.
Day 1 of chemo #4 was great. I loved it. And I really do like my bald head. It figures - one of the only features about my body I like....and in about 7 or 8 months I won't be able to see it anymore......and the cycle continues!
Thank you for your kind words, your prayers, and your never-ending smiles. I can't tell you how much you mean to me.....God Bless you!!!!
I apologize for the lay-out. This is what happens when I post photos - I have worked on trying to make it more reader-friendly for the past 30 minutes!!!!

2 comments:

Keith said...

Becky, you have even made me feel better about my own folic depravity.

ken said...

I will put my head up against Troy Armstrong's any day of the week! In fact, I can remember a time when I was directing him in a play when we butted heads every night. I won. I'm the director.
My only disappointment: all those times you were rubbing my head, I thought it meant a bit more than a bit of momentary gratification. Dern. Does that mean I need to cancel those two tickets to the Baldknobbers at Branson?
Love you, Bec...praying...